PC & IT SUPPORT MADE EASY FORUM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

linux commands for netstat looking at current connections active and domain servers etc and more

Go down

linux commands for netstat looking at current connections active and domain servers etc and more Empty linux commands for netstat looking at current connections active and domain servers etc and more

Post by jamied_uk 3rd March 2011, 14:00

netstat -nl

and loads more here

Username/Email: Password:
Register | Forgot your password?
TwitterFacebookFlickrRSS
Skip to Navigation
Home
Home ›
sendmail: Introduction and Configuration
Nov 29, 2001 By Eric Jorn Seneca
in

* HOWTOs

A guide for those of you configuring your first e-mail server.

With the growth of the Internet, e-mail has quickly become the main vehicle to spread information through the public at large. As the demand for fast, cheap and reliable e-mail grows, more individuals are turning to Linux to provide a fast, cheap and reliable solution.

sendmail was originally developed by Eric Allman, in 1979, as "delevermail", which first shipped with BSD 4.0. This program was not very flexible and required configuration at compile time. With the growth of TCP protocol and other factors, it became obvious that delevermail was not flexible enough to handle these new demands. Eric Allman had to recreate sendmail from scratch, and what he produced has become the standard for MTAs. Rather than reject messages that were did not conform to protocols, sendmail is designed to be tolerant of these messages. For those individuals who have never configured an e-mail server, this article will demonstrate how to configure sendmail 8.11.2 after a fresh install of Red Hat Linux 7.1.

By default, sendmail 8.11 is installed during the Red Hat Linux 7.1 installation. As Red Hat has progressed over the years, the installation process has become very easy. Though this article will not go into installation details, further documentation is provided on the Red Hat CD set.

For your new e-mail server to work, you must first get all the DNS issues straight. First, add the hostname and IP address for the new e-mail server to your DNS server and confirm the address with nslookup:

[root@testmail /root]# nslookup -sil testmail.blank.com
Server: 192.168.100.1
Address: 192.168.100.1#53
Name: testmail.blank.com
Address: 192.168.100.134

It is also important that your administrator put a reverse DNS entry to prevent delays in mail delivery. Most modern e-mail servers use reverse lookup as a means of authentication for mail transfer. Again, confirm this setting is correct using the nslookup command on your IP address.

[root@testmail /root]# nslookup -sil 192.168.100.134
Server: 192.168.100.1
Address: 192.168.100.1#53
134.100.168.192.in-addr.arpa name = TESTMAIL.blank.com.

As you can see, the DNS entries are setup and working correctly, so let's move on to actually configuring sendmail. By default, sendmail installations on Red Hat will only allow SMTP traffic on the localhost. The output of netstat -nl will show you all ports that have a dæmon listening; note the line that says 127.0.0.1:25. This means the server is only listening on the loop back interface for connections on port 25 (SMTP).

[root@testmail /root]# netstat -nl
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:667 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1119 /dev/gpmctl
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1172
/tmp/.font-unix/fs7100

This will keep your mail dæmon from accepting e-mail from any computer except the localhost. To fix this issue, we must tell sendmail to listen for connections on the external interface. In the case of our new server, there is only one Ethernet card, with eth0 being the external interface. To confirm the IP on eth0, simply perform an ifconfig. Depending on your configuration, this IP can be different than the address defined by your DNS server, but in our example the addresses are the same.

[root@testmail /root]# ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:60:97:DE:E9:99
inet addr:192.168.100.134 Bcast:192.168.100.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:12421 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:5 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
Interrupt:10 Base address:0xe000
lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:6 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

This machine has an address of 192.168.100.134 on the eth0 interface. Once you have that address, edit the /etc/sendmail.cf file and configure the sendmail dæmon to listen on the address.

# SMTP daemon options
O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1, Name=MTA

change to

O DaemonPortOptions=Port=smtp,Addr=192.168.100.134, Name=MTA

Once you have completed this task, save this file and restart the sendmail dæmon using the rc script /etc/init.d/sendmail.

[root@testmail /root]# /etc/init.d/sendmail restart
Shutting down sendmail: [ OK ]
Starting sendmail: [ OK ]
[root@testmail /root]#

Now check to see if there has been a change with the netstat -nl command. As you can see the output clearly shows that a dæmon (sendmail) is listening on port 25 of the IP address 192.168.100.134 that is assigned to our interface eth0.

[root@testmail /root]# netstat -nl
Active Internet connections (only servers)
Proto Recv-Q send-Q Local Address Foreign Address
State
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:22 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
tcp 0 0 192.168.100.134:25 0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:32768 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:667 0.0.0.0:*
udp 0 0 0.0.0.0:111 0.0.0.0:*
Active UNIX domain sockets (only servers)
Proto RefCnt Flags Type State I-Node Path
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1119 /dev/gpmctl
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 1172
/tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
[root@testmail /root]#

Now that we have sendmail accepting external connections, we need to assign the domains that can be accepted. This can be accomplished with the /etc/mail/local-host-names file. Simply put the domain name, blank.com, in the file.

# local-host-names - include all aliases for your machine here.
blank.com

Once this information is saved in this file, restart the sendmail dæmon with the rc script sendmail found in /etc/init.d/sendmail restart. sendmail can accept e-mail for multiple domains on the same server. Insert the domain name into this file each time you want to add a new domain.

You now have a fully working e-mail server from the localhost. It can accept e-mail from anywhere in the world, but can only send e-mail or relay e-mail from the localhost. Another default security feature is that sendmail will not allow the relay of any mail to prevent spam originating from your server. If your users log directly into the server, this configuration does not need modification. But if your organization is like most, clients are using e-mail from remote sites. If your users use clients like KMail or Outlook Express, you will need to allow those machines to relay e-mail using your new server, but you do not want to open your site up to complete relay. This can be done by adding the following line to the /etc/mail/access file and running the command make access.db after saving that file.

blank.com RELAY
# Check the /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.2/README.cf file for a
description
# of the format of this file. (search for access_db in that file)
# The /usr/share/doc/sendmail-8.11.2/README.cf is part of the
sendmail-doc
# package.
#
# by default we allow relaying from localhost...
localhost.localdomain RELAY
localhost RELAY
127.0.0.1 RELAY
blank.com RELAY

[root@testmail mail]# make access.db
[root@testmail mail]#

The make access.db command will include your new setting in the hash database used by sendmail to determine who can relay e-mail off your server. This will allow connections from inside the blank.com domain to relay e-mail from your new mail server, and prevent use of the service to nonmembers. One can also put a subnet of IPs, such as 192.168, to limit inside a domain. Keep in mind that if this setting is to open, spammers can bounce huge amounts of e-mail off your system.

Now that you can accept e-mail from anywhere in the world, have configured your domain, and allowed relay e-mail for approved clients, you may want to allow remote access to that mail. This can be accomplished with IMAP or POP. With a default server install, not all required packages are installed to make POP/IMAP mail work. These services can be obtained by the installation of the imap-2000-9 rpm package. To check the install status of this package use the following command: rpm -aq | grep -i imap. If no package is found, insert Disk 2 of the Red Hat 7.1 installation disk set into your cd-rom and mount that media. To accomplish this use the mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom command.

[root@testmail mail]# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
(Successful Mount of Read-Only Media)
Once mounted you can install the package with rpm -Uvh
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/imap-2000-9.i386.rpm.
[root@testmail mail]# rpm -Uvh
/mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/imap-2000-9.i386.rpm
Preparing... ###########################################
[100%]
1:imap ###########################################
[100%]
As you can see, when I run the rpm search, rpm -aq | grep -i
imap the IMAP package is displayed with output.
[root@testmail mail]# rpm -aq | grep -i imap
imap-2000-9
[root@testmail mail]#

With the correct package install, you now need to enable POP3 connections to your new e-mail server. This can be accomplished in the /etc/xinetd.d directory by modifying the ipop3 file. Set the value for disable to no, and save the file. Remember to maintain the case as it appears in the file.

# default: off
# description: The POP3 service allows remote users to access their mail
\
# using an POP3 client such as Netscape Communicator, mutt,
\
# or fetchmail.
service pop3
{
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/ipop3d
log_on_success += USERID
log_on_failure += USERID
disable = no
}

Now you need to restart the xinetd dæmon to make the new setting work. This is possible by using the rc script /etc/init.d/xinetd. Simply issue the restart command as seen below.

[root@testmail xinetd.d]# /etc/init.d/xinetd restart
Stopping xinetd: [ OK ]
Starting xinetd: [ OK ]
[root@testmail xinetd.d]#

Now send a test e-mail to your new server and connect to the server via your favorite pop client. You should now be able to access your e-mail via POP protocol.

One final consideration about your new server is performance. You may receive complaints about slow connection to your POP server if the client traffic is being initiated from behind a firewall. The reason for this delay is that your e-mail server initiates a IDENT session with the client to confirm the identity of the client. If there is no response to that query, the server will invoke a timeout value set by default to 5 seconds. This value can be reduced to 1 second to remove most of the delay caused by IDENT. To change this value edit the /etc/sendmail.cf file, and reduce the timeout value to the desired value.

# timeouts (many of these)
#O Timeout.ident=5s
change to
O Timeout.ident=1s

Your e-mail server is now working and providing service to your users. There are many more configurations for sendmail that are beyond the scope of this article. Linux will provide a very stable, robust platform for your e-mail needs. To find more information about sendmail visit www.sendmail.org.

Eric Jorn Seneca is a UNIX system engineer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

email: eseneca@cs.selu.edu

* next ›
* last »

* Login to save this as favorite
* del.icio.us
* Digg
* Facebook
* Reddit
* SlashDot
* StumbleUpon
* Post to Twitter

Comments
Comment viewing options
Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Hey, Thanks for such a lovely
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Mon, 10/18/2010 - 01:56.

Hey,

Thanks for such a lovely doc however when I am doing the ifconfig it is not giving the host IP Address for SMTP Server and it is giving below IP 39.96.8.8. and I think that is the reason it is not giving the port 25 to listen to our IP, instaed it is shwoing 127.0.0.1(Local Host).

Please let me know what should be done from my side.

Thanks,
Thanks
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 04/14/2010 - 06:43.

Many thanks, i was struggling to configure sicne long time but after following your post i configure it successfully

thanks a lot
sending mail
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 03/11/2010 - 08:04.

am developing an application on mailserver in php and mysql..
can i use roundcube for my application.. how to use it.
Very good document. Thanks
Suman Kumar Mandal's picture
Submitted by Suman Kumar Mandal (not verified) on Wed, 02/03/2010 - 23:51.

Very good document. Thanks Eric
dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 00:02.

dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (n9T5vBsn013704 Message accepted for delivery
Thanks a lot Eric. This
Hoan's picture
Submitted by Hoan (not verified) on Sun, 10/11/2009 - 21:21.

Thanks a lot Eric. This article is great.
Your explanation is very easy to follow.
Need Help- How to Configure Send mail in Linux Enterprise Editio
Dibakar Sahoo's picture
Submitted by Dibakar Sahoo (not verified) on Wed, 04/15/2009 - 12:01.

Hi
need help how to configure send mail in linux enterprise edition 4.0.

this server is loaded with
Linux ENterprise edition 4.0
IBM Websphere and Oracale

can i configure send mail in this environment.

please help
fantastic, just fantastic
Linn's picture
Submitted by Linn (not verified) on Fri, 12/05/2008 - 09:02.

this is fantastic post.. thanks very much..for sharing
Thanks Eric
echikoz's picture
Submitted by echikoz (not verified) on Wed, 04/11/2007 - 04:34.

Hi Eric,
It is good to know that someone who shares my name can be this helpful.Am now able to telnet on 110 of my server.
Cheers,
Erick.
adding comments
venkat raman's picture
Submitted by venkat raman (not verified) on Sat, 02/24/2007 - 10:39.

i think this is very very useful for me in clarifying various doubts.
but i wants deep in case of sendmail problenm regarding defered DNS I.E. dsn=4.0.0 , state=defered, connection refused by xxx.xxx.com etc
but very useful hint from /etc/mail/local-host-names
I am not really like to
Alex2's picture
Submitted by Alex2 (not verified) on Sun, 09/24/2006 - 10:32.

I am not really like to leave comments. But this is really a very handy paper. I set up sendmail very quickly after reading it.
Thanks So Much
Adam Doupe's picture
Submitted by Adam Doupe (not verified) on Wed, 08/30/2006 - 14:07.

Hey, I really appreciate this article, it helped me set up sendmail quickly. Thanks for the good article.
Problem with spams
parikshit's picture
Submitted by parikshit (not verified) on Fri, 08/18/2006 - 04:42.

Hi,
I am developing an application in jsp. we are using java mail api to send email through our application.

The problem with us is that our mais are landing in spam folders in a few public domain email providers.

One of the spam lists says that our mail server is not correctly configured and thats why our mails are landing in spam folder.
here is the link:
http://cbl.abuseat.org/remove.cgi?ip=66.232.112.182

thanks in advance.
creating user accounts after configuring sendmail
Den's picture
Submitted by Den (not verified) on Tue, 05/23/2006 - 07:24.

Hi,
I do appreciate for your nice material on configuring sendmail.I have successfully managed to follow it the end but question is how do i create email accounts for users in my email server
Excellent job
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 04/20/2006 - 02:11.

Excellent job ...............Thanks a lot
thanks Eric!
Vitu's picture
Submitted by Vitu (not verified) on Thu, 01/05/2006 - 08:39.

Thanks Eric, this article is great.
Please explain some more
Sreedhar.T.P's picture
Submitted by Sreedhar.T.P (not verified) on Sun, 03/19/2006 - 03:19.

I saw ur article and found it intersting. Iam new to Linux and i have a handful of doubts. Will u please explain me...

By configuring sendmail can i add unlimited users

Where will be the email data stored

Will this configuration work in Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS4

Can i configure it it GUI mode.

Is it easy to administer

Expecting a detailed reply

Thanking you

Sreedhar
hello
Larry's picture
Submitted by Larry (not verified) on Thu, 11/08/2007 - 23:06.

I found it very useful.
sendmail config
JaR's picture
Submitted by JaR (not verified) on Tue, 09/06/2005 - 01:32.

need some help
i have a smtp working with pop3 runing
my problem is some ips use my server for spam
how i can stop that?
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.234.210:2865 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.234.227:2658 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.255.137:bmap ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.255.94:2725 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.255.94:4754 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.232.215:2402 ESTABLISHED
tcp 0 0 nicolaescumalex.pi:smtp 221.221.255.137:4755 ESTABLISHED

this are the conection to my smtp

they are using big list of email address and have wrong addres in the list
i receive mails like this
Subject: Postmaster notify: see transcript for details
This is a MIME-encapsulated message

--j867TerR011920.1125991785/nicolaescumalex.piatraneamt.rdsnet.ro

The original message was received at Tue, 6 Sep 2005 07:29:40 GMT

my question is
how they can access my smtp and how i can blok it??
thx
prevent spammers from using my sendmail
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Thu, 02/16/2006 - 10:53.

Has anyone responded to this posting?
Hi, Is it possible to read m
jibu's picture
Submitted by jibu (not verified) on Fri, 09/02/2005 - 05:20.

Hi,
Is it possible to read messages directly from sendmail using java without using pop3?
Thanks
Jibu
Re: Sendmail Configuration.
Abbass's picture
Submitted by Abbass (not verified) on Fri, 08/12/2005 - 04:32.

This article is really great.
Can't recieve mail externaly or localy
CharlesB's picture
Submitted by CharlesB (not verified) on Sun, 11/06/2005 - 16:57.

I am relitivly new to linux "mandrake 10.0" I have read your step by step on setting up sendmail..... "Perfect simple absolutly the best I have read". I can send emails externaly and localy but for the life of me I can not recieve mails sent to the mail server here. I have tryed everything I could think of and have read "including your step by step". Nothing seems to be working at all for me Sad
Relaying help needed
Andre's picture
Submitted by Andre (not verified) on Fri, 11/26/2004 - 05:56.

I have a fully working sendmail set up going, I can send mail using a web client (Squirrelmail) and receive mail fine using a POP3 server and IMAP. I cannot send mail from home using a client like Outlook, I get "RELAY DENIED" error, but I can download my mail from the server.

I've tried auth settings on the client side, but nothing seems to work when I send mail to a domain not listed in my relay-domains list. Obviously I can't add all domains or *.com etc, as that will open the relay. Any ideas/comments/suggestions?!

I need to get this working, without using the ISP's SMTP server for sending, I've got a client that wants to use this server in house...
Re: Relaying Help needed
Rohit's picture
Submitted by Rohit (not verified) on Fri, 03/24/2006 - 09:36.

Hi,

I am also facing the same problem as you, If you have found some solutions for the same, then pls share with me..

Thanks
It feels good to see smtp working....
Chris Jackson's picture
Submitted by Chris Jackson (not verified) on Wed, 11/24/2004 - 22:19.

I have tried and tried to get sendmail working - awesome article. Thanks...
problem in accessinig access file
mks's picture
Submitted by mks (not verified) on Mon, 11/15/2004 - 23:52.

Hi,

I have read the following line in ur article for configuring sendmail.

This can be done by adding the following line to the /etc/mail/access file and running the command make access.db after saving that file.

blank.com RELAY

But when i tried to access /etc/mail/access file, it is asking for encryption key. What should i do now?
Re: sendmail: Introduction and Configuration
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 06/20/2004 - 01:00.

Erick,

YOU ARE THE CHAMPION MY FRIEND.

Miguel
Miami, FL
mfvh@yahoo.com
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 04/20/2004 - 01:00.

Very good article because it's simple and complete. It worked fine. The only thing would be to explain thant this pop3 works on port 995
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 11/17/2003 - 02:00.

Good Job Eric. Good combination of stuff put together. Good for new linux net admins.
Thanks on every ones behalf
Re: sendmail: Anonymous Email Configuration
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 08/26/2003 - 01:00.

Hi ,

I have configured a email mail server , it is working fine .

Now the problem is , I want my email server to accept anonymous emails i.e , if some one responds with anon123@xyz.com (ex my domain is xyz.com) and i don't have such user still i want his mail to land in my email server how do i do it ...........

What configuration should i set in my sendmail.cf file

Sendmail gurus pls help me
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 08/27/2003 - 01:00.

hi dear,

You don't have to do anything.

Just creat a catchall account in your mail server.

Thanks
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 09/08/2003 - 01:00.

How do I create a catch all in the mail server
please tell me how to create
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous (not verified) on Tue, 10/04/2005 - 02:19.

please tell me how to create a catch all account in mail server using sendmail.How to create auto responders vacations mail too
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 04/25/2003 - 01:00.

hai

i used ur instructions to configure sendmail it worked very fine .

the problem is in virtual domains

when i send mail to the

user@virtdomain.com

it gets aliased to user@mydomain.com

but the reply address for that user will come as user@mydomain.com

plz help me out.

my mail id is

shivakumarnm@yahoo.com
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 05/15/2003 - 01:00.

My Name Is Zafrulla Khan

I dont Know ...sendmail Conf i was struggling for a long time to configure the sendmail ......Luckly by the god Grace i found your link for the Google Search Engine .....

I can not say in words how i was benifited from this conf
I will be always thank full to you in my life

Any futher conf about this plz put on the web .....plz

zafaronline@rediffmail.com
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 12/06/2002 - 02:00.

Thanks for the help here. I was confused , how come pop3 is not workyby default in linux8.0, once i gone thru the help and set disabled=no in /etc/xinetd , starts working fine. THanks alot.

By the way, i have enabled imapd also in the same fashion, that means my mechine will work as an IMAP server too, is't it??
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 03/10/2003 - 02:00.

Thanks for a great help on sendmail only listen on port 25 on loopback. Keep it up.
Re: sendmail: Introduction and Configuration - BRILL!
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 10/25/2002 - 01:00.

Absolutely BRILLIANT!!!!!

At last sendmail works, no other tutorial managed that for me!

THANK YOU!
Relay denied
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 09/03/2002 - 01:00.

Incredible article! Thanks Eric.....

I
Re: Relay denied
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Thu, 01/23/2003 - 02:00.

hi i have the same problem... and i'dont know haw to resolve this, can you help me too...

thanks

please send me an e-mail to

vasile_turcu@yahoo.com
Re: Relay denied
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 01/24/2003 - 02:00.

Same problem here Sad

Altough i can send email inside my network without problems, if i try to send an email i.e. hotmail i get an relay denied error

help please!
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 08/27/2002 - 01:00.

Incredible article! Thanks Eric, this piece of text just broke the ice for me regarding linux.
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 08/28/2002 - 01:00.

Glad to help
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Wed, 07/31/2002 - 01:00.

Thank you so very much. I have been without email services on my server for a week because my new host doesn't "manage the servers". I actually did all the steps in reverse because I couldn't find a good (and short) guide, until I found this page using google.
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 07/30/2002 - 01:00.

Thank you so much... This is the best article on how to configure sendmail, I tried for 3 days to get this thing work and thanks to this article is working!!
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 07/28/2002 - 01:00.

use the chkconfig command for xinetd specific services. After you install the imap package, run chkconfig --list. This will list all rc startup services. Under xinetd you will see the xinetd specific services. ipop2, ipop3, imap, imaps, etc should all say 'no' under startup. Do a 'chkconfig ipop3 on' will turn on ipop3 for all runlevels. Using chkconfig accomplishes the same thing as editing the /etc/xinetd.d/ipop3 but is a cleaner way, and works for all startup rc scripts.
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 07/21/2002 - 01:00.

Excellent, I have been having problems with this for a week now, the article is direct strait forward and most of all correct.

A big thank you.

Mike
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 07/09/2002 - 01:00.

I'm senior Computer engineer from KMITL ( THAILAND ) My project is webmail opensource. I develop twig and must to config sendmail . I try for a week about sendmail. This article is greate,awful,Even i use mandrake but it work. Thank a lot. thank opensource. My email address is maydream@hotmail.com
Anonymous's picture
Submitted by Anonymous on Mon, 06/24/2002 - 01:00.

It Really Works

Thanx a lot for such an article.

* next ›
* last »

* Video
* News
* Blogs
* Reviews
* HOWTOs
* Participate
* Magazine
* How to Get Linux
* Getting Help

Linux Journal cover
The Magazine

Linux Journal is the premier source for how-tos, projects, product reviews, expert advice and opinions for everything Linux.

* New Issue/Podcast
* Issue Excerpt
* Archives
* Subscribe

Trending Topics

* Desktop
* Embedded
* HPC
* Mobile
* Security
* SysAdmin
* Virtualization
* Web Development

* The Latest
* Popular
* Recent Comments

German Open Source Experiment: Things Not Going To Plan Mar 02, 2011
Who Contributes the Most to LibreOffice? Mar 01, 2011
Make Customers Smile in 7 Easy Steps with OTRS - Part 4 Feb 28, 2011
Quickie Conference Report: Day One - SCALE 9x Feb 26, 2011
Linux Journal Insider - April 2011 Feb 25, 2011
SCALE: The Best Little-Big Open Source Conference Feb 25, 2011
more

* German Open Source Experiment: Things Not Going To Plan
* Who Contributes the Most to LibreOffice?
* Linux--The Internet Appliance?
* Validate an E-Mail Address with PHP, the Right Way
* Review: Recompute Cardboard PC
* Boot with GRUB
* Make Customers Smile in 7 Easy Steps with OTRS - Part 4
* Why Python?
* In This Issue
* New Issue

more

* Paint.net!
17 min 57 sec ago
* this can be easily done without using xargs!
22 min ago
* Under threat?
1 hour 30 min ago
* Terrible movie
2 hours 23 min ago
* pgrep filename | xargs kill
5 hours 50 min ago
* 100% true
8 hours 9 min ago
* All of the above, but ...
9 hours 44 min ago
* Corporate morality
9 hours 55 min ago
* Corporations
10 hours 10 min ago
* Can't Blame Them
11 hours 7 min ago

Linux Newsletter

Linux Buyers Guide

Friends with Benefits
Review: Boxee Box
See video
Review: Recompute Cardboard PC

See video
Skype Call Recorder

Click here for more videos
Distro Spotlight
Spotlight on Linux: Puppy Linux 5.2

Puppy Linux began life as a really cool small-sized Linux distribution designed primarily for lower specification hardware while still providing most of the amenities that make Linux fun and usable. It included lots of original utilities and tools for completing tasks and configurations without a lot of resource overhead.
more>>
previous distros
Poll
What's your favorite graphics/design tool? :
Blender
GIMP
Inkscape
Krita
other (please tell us which one in the comments below)
First Name Last Name

Address 1 Address 2

City State Zip

Email
Canadian Residents | Foreign Residents | Gift Subscriptions | Customer Service | Privacy Policy

Linux Journal, currently celebrating its 17th year of publication, is the original magazine of the global Linux community, delivering readers the advice and inspiration they need to get the most out of their Linux systems.

In-depth information provides a full 360-degree look at featured topics relating to Linux, giving a comprehensive source of everything readers need for creating and completing their own projects -- not just tools they will use today, but relevant and encompassing information they will turn to in future months and years. In addition to how-to content, Linux Journal includes opinions, new product information, profiles of leaders making major contributions in Open Source and product reviews. It also covers business, social and technical news and developments in order to fulfill its mission as the central forum and advocate for the greater Linux community throughout the world.
jamied_uk
jamied_uk
Admin

https://jnet.sytes.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum